Summer time calls for recipes that keep you and your family hydrated and especially, one that is light on the tummy – unless you have plenty of time for a siesta.
As a mother of three, I know sleep is one of those things we as parents miss the most. That’s why I am bringing to you this recipe, which is a plus and a plus, no matter where you look at it from.
- It actually tastes so good. I was skeptical about the pineapple in my fried rice too but I surprised my own taste buds.
- It looks so good! (Food for the eye first, right?)
- It is very quick & easy to make.
- It is super fancy to serve at dinner parties.
- Add some ham to it and even the kids would be willing to give it a try. (Been there, done that!)
So if you’ve got all you needed to hear, let’s jump right in…Shall we?
Ingredients: – (serves 2)
- 1 ½ cup cooked rice (a day’s old)
- 1 small pineapple (not too ripe), cut into cubes
- 5-8 medium sized shrimp
- ½ cup roasted cashew nuts
- 1 large tomato, sliced & de-seeded
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 ½ tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Coriander, finely chopped
- Pork floss*, for garnish (optional)
*pork floss is also known as dried shredded pork. you can find this in the Chinese ingredients aisle at your supermarket.
- In a large pan, heat some oil; Cook the shrimps for a few minutes on both sides. Remove shrimp from the pan & set aside.
- Sauté the garlic in the remaining oil.
- Add the beaten egg. Let sit for a few minutes. Stir it up.
- Add rice to the mix in the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add in all the seasonings (wet & dry) – soya sauce, curry powder, sugar, and white pepper powder. Mix the ingredients to combine.
- Pour the sauce mix over the rice in the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add pineapple cubes along with tomato and cashew nuts. Mix everything again.
- Turn off the heat. Add the coriander leaves.
- Serve the fried rice in a dish made out of the pineapple. Garnish with pork flakes.
Instructions on how to prepare the pineapple boat for serving:-
- Cut the pineapple into 2 equal halves.
- Using a knife, cut into the fruit part of the pineapple forming a large rectangle. (The area to put rice into)
- Make 2 more straight line cuts inside that rectangle.
- Use a spoon or the same knife to push the fruit out. These should come out easily in good shape. Chop these into small cubes to be added into the fried rice.
- Spoon the remaining pineapple (those still stuck to the base). This can be turned into fruit juice or a smoothie.
- You now have a fancy tropical dish to serve your rice in.