This is my definition of a perfect pasta dish. Good quality minced meat swimming in deep flavours of garlic, tomatoes and herbs combined with your favourite pasta shape topped with cheese is a dish with exquisite character and personality.
You’ll find that, this meat sauce recipe calls for marginal effort without compromising on the much-required rustic flavours that adorns the dish. Hence, providing a key recipe that will surely act as a base to enhance a lot more recipes that will come out of your kitchen.
Having said that, let’s jump right in …
Ingredients:- (serves 2-3)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 inch carrot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp thick tomato paste
- 1 cup minced meat (chicken, beef or pork)
- salt, acc to taste
- 1/3 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 tsp oregano
- grated cheddar, as much as you like
- your favourite pasta ( I am using spaghetti)
- leftover pasta water
- Cook your pasta in water with a bit of salt. Once al-dente, drain (save some of the water) and set aside.
- In a pan, heat butter and oil together.
- Saute the garlic in it for no more than a minute.
- Add in the carrots, followed by onions. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste along with a ladle or two of the pasta water you saved.
- Now add in the minced meat. Mix all ingredients of the pan.
- Season with salt, pepper powder and oregano. Mix to combine. Set heat on low and allow the mixture to simmer and the flavours to deepen. Let simmer on low for 20-25 minu Keep a close watch and add some pasta water whenever the pan feels too dry.
- Add in a bit of the cheese (optional for cheese lovers).
- Finally, toss the pasta into the sauce right before plating.
- Garnish with grated cheddar and parsley if desired.