The very amazing thing about food is that it allows you (your taste buds basically) to travel to any country you like! Today, in this post, let’s escape to Italy…
Mamma Mia!! Italy spoils you with its choices. I have often heard my vegetarian friends complain about food when they travel but never about Italian food. There are a vast variety of vegetarian recipes, most taste even better than the meaty stuff!! Take parmigiana for example, Oh the eggplant. And then there is the bruschetta. Bruschetta is easily the most favoured appetizer and is often made in kitchens all around the world, because of it’s easy recipe as well as the choice of the finest and freshest ingredients that makes your taste buds do the flip flop dance.
The bruschetta has a variety of toppings and can be made into mini sizes, making it a very common party appetizer. This recipe is of a classic tomato bruschetta with a teeny tiny addition of Avocados.
So this is a shout out to all you Avocado lovers, let’s begin…
- 1 Baguette
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ½ cup tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 fresh tomatoes, finely diced
- 4-5 leaves holy basil, finely chopped
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 avocado (just ripe), very thinly sliced
- Slice the baguette into 1½ inches think pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Brush the slices of bread with this mixture.
- Toast the bread in a pre-heated oven for about 4-5minutes or until slightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar to the mixing bowl (of the remaining olive oil). Mix the ingredients to combine.
- Once the bread is ready, top the warm bread with thin slices of avocado.
- Top the avocado with the tomato mixture from the bowl.
- Garnish with a fresh basil on each slice. Serve immediately.