My younger brother was hooked on spinach when he was a little boy, thanks to Popeye the sailor man and his habit of guzzling down tins and tins of spinach to upsize his muscles.
It was not only him who doubled his intake of vegetables but there were as many as 20% increases in the sales of spinach tins, whenever the show was aired, researches confirmed. Hey if that could make your child like one of the most useful greens wouldn’t you turn to the show for some help????
But even if you don’t I think taking simple steps like pairing veggies with other of your kids favourite ingredients like cheese would work as well. It did, in my household!!
If you are now itching to give it a try, here is a quick and easy recipe: –
- 1 serving bowl spinach leaves
- 1 yellow onion, finally chopped
- 250gms butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup four cheese
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Heat butter in a medium pan until just sizzling.
- Stir-fry the chopped onions in butter until a change of colour.
- Add the spinach leaves and sauté for another 4 minutes.
- Pour in a part of the milk from the cup. Cover lid and allow the flavours of the spinach to seep into the milk.
- Add a big blob of cream cheese to the mixture in the pan. Smash any large chunks you see.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- To assemble the dish, simply spoon the spinach mixture into an oven safe dish.
- Top it with a mixture of cheese like the four-cheese.
- Add some breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180 degree for almost 30-40minutes or until the bubbling cheese on top has turned brown.
- Allow it to sit for 5minutes, before serving along side a big bowl of salad.