Believe me when I say every child has a favourite vegetable. Ask if you must, I am positive you will be surprised with the reply. At about 12months my boys were fond of spring onions. Amazed? As was I and many other people who saw them biting into those long green bits. I remember being in a chinese restaurant in Singapore where I asked for some spring onions for the boys to nibble on as we ate, The waitress found it so amazing that she eventually called all of her staff friends to come have a look at the funny duo!
My niece on the other hand has been loyal to baby carrots since she was a baby uptil now; she is 4.
Favourite vegetables may change! My boy’s current favourite is morning glory. I think it may have something to do with their involvement in growing these Thai favourite vegetables at home. They also have a favourite recipe for this vegetable, which I am sharing with you here today.
Deep-fried Morning Glory is a crowd pleaser recipe. On its own, it serves as a great snack to munch on (a good replacement of fries). Served with some spicy dipping sauce and you have yourself a fancy Thai appetizer. And the person it pleases the most is the chef with the quick and simple steps that is required.
If you are in search of recipes that are simple to begin with, this is it!
- 500gms morning glory (stalk and leaves)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 3 cups tempura flour
- ¾ cup rice bran oil (any oil for deep frying)
- salt & black pepper, according to taste
For the dipping
- 4 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 4-5 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Thai chilli paste
65ml coconut cream
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- A handful roasted peanuts
* If you are a non-vegetarian, for an additional twist add boiled minced pork and shrimp into this dipping sauce.
- Rinse and wash the morning glory under running water.
- Chop into one-inch size pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small sized pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the tempura flour. Gradually pour in the cold water with your as you whisk with your right. Season with salt and pepper. The consistency that you are looking for is that of a thick and rough batter.
- Add the chopped morning glory into the batter.
- Once the oil is hot, deep-fry these for about 2-3minutes or until golden brown crust is formed.
- For the dipping sauce, mix all of the above ingredients together in the order mentioned.
- Either serve the dipping sauce in a side dish or pour directly over the fried morning glory and serve immediately.