Is it the flu season or is it only going on in circles in my household. I have had a month of illness circulating between my children and me. I hate to use it as an excuse but it did totally hold me back from cooking and writing for my blog. Now that I am a bit better and have a little time off, I want to share an anti-flu recipe, which is very handy and will definitely come to use.
This is my macroni flu fighter soup.
It is a clear soup made of whatever stock you like – pork bone or vegetable stock. Pork bone however is good to provide strength for the weakness that comes with high fever. I have mentioned my stock recipe earlier in the blog but I have added some contents here like the red onion – to fight the common cold and clear blocked nose. Red onion is also good for chest congestion and so I insist this is an important ingredient to add to the stock.
Add whatever vegetables you prefer, we enjoy carrots, some scallions and minced pork or chicken separately stir fried in garlic & oil.
Well here goes….
Ingredients :- ( 2-3 bowls)
- 1litre water
- 3 pcs pork bone for soup
- 2 coriander roots
- ½ carrot (chopped into 2 equal pieces)
- ½ carrot (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 small red onion (chopped into 4 equal pieces)
- 1 tbsp scallion
- 3-4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup minced chicken
- 1 cup macroni
- salt & pepper according to taste
- Bring water to boil in a pan, add in the macroni along with a few drops of oil and ½ tsp of salt. Cook the macroni for about 5 minutes, then strain and set aside.
- In another pot, bring water to a boil. Add in the pork bones. Turn heat to medium high and cover lid. Keep for 20 minutes. Time and again, strain out any foam formed on the sides.
- Add in the carrot, coriander roots & red onion. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a pan, sauté garlic with oil for a minute then add in the minced chicken. Cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper. Throw in the scallions and turn off heat. Set aside.
- To assemble, in a bowl put a tablespoon or two of the boiled macroni.
Add a teaspoon of chopped carrots (from the big pot of stock).
Add a tablespoon of the garlic chicken. Scoop up some oil to add grease to your soup where all the flavours are.
Pour in a good amount of the clear soup from the big pot.
- Serve hot.
Enjoy this very comforting bowl of food that will work hard to cure your illness and get your strength right back.