If you had a bite off this dish, you wouldn’t believe it when I say that it is very easy to cook and assemble. With just the right amount of tender chicken and sweetness of the teriyaki glaze, this dish is a true love at first bite!
I have tried a gazillion versions of teriyaki sauce and finally, finally I will be sticking to this version for a long, long time to come. This is a “minimalist” version with very few ingredients (no ginger, no garlic etc.), which neither comes off too strong, nor too sweet.
Once you have the perfect sauce and the right method of cooking the chicken (so that it isn’t chewy) you’ve got yourself a winner menu!
You may serve this teriyaki dish as a side or as a main by bedding it over some subtly flavoured egg noodles with veggies like I did. Here goes…
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 400gms chicken breasts
- salt & pepper according to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 packet Instant egg noodles
- ½ cup Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/2 carrot (diced)
- pok choy or any other greens
* A lot of recipe use Honey instead of sugar because it is a healthier option but for my Teriyaki I have always only loved the original flavouring of sugar. Give both a try and decide for yourself!
- To prepare the sauce, In a milk pan, add brown sugar, mustard, mirin and 1 tablespoon of soya sauce. Heat the mix till it thickens a bit, turn of heat and set aside.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are thin and flat.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pan-fry the chicken breasts in1 tablespoon of oil until brown on one side.
- Flip to the other side and within 2minutes pour in the sauce prepared.
- Cook the chicken in the sauce until the chicken has cooked through and the sauce is a thick sticky glaze.
- Boil the egg noodles and set aside.
- In a heated wok, add oil and sauté garlic along with carrots and other greens you like.
- Add Worcester sauce to the wok and soya sauce.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add in the noodles and mix all ingredients well.
- Slice the chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces and serve over the top of noodles.
- Enjoy warm!