Panna Cotta or “cooked cream” is a smooth & silky Italian dessert which has become increasingly popular worldwide. The bouncy texture of the dessert is what makes it seem tricky to obtain but as difficult as it may sound; Panna cotta really is a simple dish to whip up at home.
I expect, once you discover the method to make this, you will be serving it at all gatherings- big or small – to children or adults. The beauty of this classy dessert is the adaptive flavours. For instance: you can add rum along with the cream & milk for an adult or you can make your child’s favourite fruit syrup and pour it over the dish. I like to serve my panna cotta with fresh strawberries and a few sprinkles of chocolate shavings.
How you present your panna cotta is entirely up to your liking. Encourage your children to help you decorate it with their choice of favourite fruits and other toppings. You need not worry about what they choose to add to this because almost everything goes well with this white wobbly spoon of delight.
Ingredients :- (Serves 2)
• 250ml whipped cream
• 50ml whole milk
• ¼ cup sugar
• 3 strips gelatin or 1 sachet gelatin powder
• ¼ bowl water
• 5-7 drops vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod (optional)
• 1 chocolate bar
• fresh strawberries
1. Soak the 3 gelatin strips in cold water for about 5 minutes to soften.
2. Set a milk pan on medium heat. Pour in the cream and milk into the pan. Stir gently. Allow this to heat up but do not bring to a boil.
3. Use a syringe to get a few drops (as according to your preference) of the vanilla essence into the mixture.
4. Add sugar. Once you see small bubbles forming on the sides of the pan, turn off heat.
5. Squeeze the water out of the now soft gelatin strips and add it to the pan. Whisk to melt it completely.
6. Pour this into moulds or small ramekins. Refrigerate overnight.
7. Cut strawberries as you like.
8. Dunk your mould in warm water for a few minutes then turn it over on a plate. The wobbliness of your panna cotta is an indication that you got it just right.
9. Have your child help you decorate with strawberries over the panna cotta.
10. Then with a butter-knife or a flat spoon let your child shave the chocolate bar directly over the dish.