Believe it or not this recipe is meant for my lazy days. Kebabs somehow sound so daunting but in actual, these are super easy as long as you are generous with the seasoning and spices.
This recipe works delightfully with other options like white firm fish, prawns and even paneer. There is a trick to ensure that this recipe is absolutely fail proof every time you make it. Make sure you have enough time for the meat to sit in the marinade. The more time you give it the better. But if you are in a hurry a minimum of 30 minutes is sufficient for soft subtle flavours.
Chicken kebab is soo versatile. I have served them in various manners.
No Skewers? No problem. These make a wonderful addition to a salad. Throw in some salad leaves, chop the kebab into bite size pieces and garnish with a lemon yoghurt dressing.
Or wrap them with some greens, pickled onions/beetroot. Have yourself a power pack meal.
And don’t even get me started on BAKED kebabs with cheese. You would never forget the outburst of flavours!
Ingredients: – (makes upto 8 skewers)
- 500gms chicken thigh (skinless) *
- 3 tbsp yoghurt (unsweetened)
- bamboo/metal skewers
Seasoning for the marinade: –
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp paprika/red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt & black pepper, according to taste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (optional)
- ¼ cup cooking oil
* Chicken breast are a good substitute.
* If cooking for kids, skip garam masala, black pepper and paprika.
- Pound chicken thigh/breast and cut length ways.
- Add all the seasonings mentioned into the yoghurt to prepare the marinade.
- Mix the marinate ingredients together well in a large bowl.
- Add chicken to the marinade bowl.
- Let it sit covered, in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Thread the chicken pieces gently on to skewers.
- Heat your grill pan and spray some oil on it.
- Place the skewers on to the pan. Use a spatula to press down the chicken to ensure all parts get equivalent amount of heat and cooks through. Cook on each side for about 10-12 minutes each depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
- Pour all the marinade from the bowl onto the pan and let the chicken pieces soak up all the flavours. Remove from pan once all the liquid dries up and you see browning on every piece.
- Serve while still hot.