Here is a dish that takes about 15 minutes to prepare and is truly soul satisfying. I think the coconut cream stole the limelight in this dish and gave the repetitive tomato sauce a whole new life.
Go for it the vegan way and you most definitely fall in love with the world of veganism.
To make the dish you will need…..
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter ( use oil if making it vegan)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup champignon mushrooms, sliced
- 2 juicy tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste (or ketchup – optional)
- ¼ cup drained pasta water
- salt, according to taste
- dried oregano, a good drizzle
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- 1 cup cooked penne
- Parmesan, for garnish (vegan cheese are also available)
- Bring water to a boil in a small pan. Cook the paste in it until al dente or softer if making for kids. Drain the pasta while saving the water in a bowl.
- Heat butter in a medium pan.
- Stir-fry the chopped onions and garlic in the sizzling butter for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to the pan. Saute.
- Add the tomatoes, the tomato paste and pasta water. Mix well. Cook until you see tiny bubbles form.
- Add salt, dried oregano and red chilli flakes (if using)
- Pour in the coconut milk, stir well and bring to a boil once again.
- Quickly add in the spinach leaves, followed by penne and a generous amount of Parmesan. Combine the ingredients.
- Drizzle some more Parmesan right before serving.