In the deepest corner of my furthest cabinet, behind all utensils big and small used only on rare occasions, lay another utensil I brazenly ignored for years!!
And how wrong was I. The muffin pan, a bake ware I once thrust towards the very end of my cabinet is now the rightful owner of an upfront essential spot in my kitchen. Why?
1. It is a multi-purpose utensil, not only meant for baking sweet stuff as I imagined.
2. There are an infinite amount of recipes to make with the muffin pan.
3. Most recipes are so easy and quick to put together.
4. You get perfectly shaped food without going through much trouble.
5. Prepare in bulk in one go. Each batch makes about 6 or 12 muffin depending on your muffin tin size.
To support my argument further here is a recipe you can make with minimal preparation and still have a charming dish to lay out for your guests.
All you will need is to prepare a pizza topping of your liking, put them in wonton cups and bake till crisp. I am making an instant pizza topping using handy ingredients such as ketchup, garlic powder and dried parsley. Remember this is a quick recipe to put out but if you have time on your hands, by all means prepare your pizza sauce/topping from scratch using fresh tomatoes. I also added chicken and olives to my sauce, you can switch to mushrooms or ground beef depending on your liking.
• 1 pack ready wonton/gyoza wrappers
• ½ cup ketchup
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tsp dried parsley (or any other herb like oregano)
• ¼ cup minced chicken
• 2-3 olives black or green
• ¼ cup grated cheddar
Recipe: (makes 6 wonton cups)
1. Preheat the oven at 180C.
2. Spray the muffin tin with cooking oil.
3. Place wonton wrappers properly into the tins. Make sure the sides are high and the middle section flat.
4. Put the muffin tin in the oven for 5 minutes or until crisp and slightly browned.
5. In the meantime, Saute chicken in butter for 3 minutes.
6. Add ketchup, garlic powder, dried parsley and salt.
7. Mix well. Let this cool.
8. Once the wonton is ready, add some grated cheddar cheese to the bottom of the wonton cups to act as a holding agent for your stuffing.
9. Spoon in the saucy chicken you prepared.
10. Top with another dash of cheddar cheese.
11. Garnish with beautifully sliced olive.
12. Bake for another 5-7 minutes or until cheese melts.
13. Serve immediately.