My kids don’t regard it as a good week unless they’ve had pasta at least twice but that’s fine by me! I love making pasta simply because so much can be done with it in terms of flavouring and using nutritional ingredients.
This is my mother’s recipe of an “everyday pasta”, which is full of super veggies like broccoli and mushrooms, flavoured with cream and Parmesan. When I was younger, I would often see my little brother (who is a lot younger to me) dive his fork straight at pieces of broccoli on his plate. So when I became a mother; this dish automatically came to me, often with that déjà vu feeling but involving my kids instead, the whole broccoli and the fork, the pasta… all these pictures keep rolling in my head repeatedly.
Ingredients :- (serves 2)
· 4-5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
· 3 tbsp unsalted butter
· ½ cup cooking cream
· ½ cup milk
· ½ cup sliced champignon mushroom
· ½ cup small broccoli florets
· salt & pepper (according to taste)
· ¼ cup grated Parmesan
· Spaghetti (any pasta of your choice)
1. Cook the spaghetti in a large-sized pan of boiling salted water for about 10 – 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, heat the butter and fry the garlic for about 1 minute.
3. Add the cream and mushrooms. Simmer for about 5 minutes so the flavours blend well in the sauce.
4. Pour in half the amount of milk and Parmesan prepared.
5. Add broccoli. Cover and cook until soft (as soft as your like).
6. Season with salt & black pepper. If too dry, add the rest of the milk.
7. Drain the cooked pasta, add it into the sauce and toss together. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.