Cottage cheese or paneer is staple food in an Indian vegetarian household. There are so many ways to go about making paneer; freshly cut cubes served with some chaat masala & lime juice makes a wonderful summer salad. Add it to a luscious gravy with greens and spices and you get a dainty main dish (“saag paneer” – recipe added to my blog earlier).
Another splendid way to cook it is to make a scrambled paneer with onions, tomatoes and some herbs! This you can serve in a sandwich or wrapped in a roti (Indian flat bread) for breakfast or even as a snack over salted crackers on a breezy afternoon with a cup of hot chai (Indian tea).
Because it is a dish I can get on the table in 15 minutes or less, it is my favourite when I have unexpected guests. With it being a good source of protein and calcium I often also serve it for breakfast on school days. It is a dish that conquers all!!!
Ingredients :- ( about 12 – 15 crackers)
• 250gms fresh cottage cheese (paneer)
• 1 tbsp white onions (chopped)
• ½ cup tomatoes (chopped)
• 1 tbsp coriander (chopped)
• Salt (adjust accordingly)
• 1 tbsp ketchup
• pinch of red chilli powder (optional)
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
• 1 pack salted crackers or plain rice crackers
1. Smash cottage cheese with a fork to almost the same size as that of bread crumbs. Set aside.
2. In a non-stick pan heat butter and fry onions till transparent.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Season with chilli powder and salt.
5. Add in the cottage cheese and mix all ingredients well.
6. Put in some ketchup and slowly add on according to taste. Mix again.
7. Turn off heat and throw in the coriander. Give one last stir.
8. Spoon the mixture over salted crackers and serve.
p.s. to spice this up add chopped green chillies in step 2.