In this post I bring to you Quesadillas – the club sandwich of Mexico!! Quesadillas are made of 2 round corn tortillas one over the other sandwiching lots of ingredients like turkey or chicken with vegetables and spreads and a lot of cheese.
The diversity of filling to use in a Quesadilla is over a hundred of possibilities. I chose to make a simple yet impressive flavoured filling using an avocado with chicken and onions.
Quesadillas is also a great party snack and so it is essential that even though the dish may remain simple; the dramatic presentation makes it “THE DISH TO IMPRESS!”
Ingredients: – (for 4 big size tortillas)
• 1 ripe avocado, sliced
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 white onion
• 400 gms chicken brest
• 1-2 tsp paprika (according to taste)
• 2 tbsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
• 1 pack tortillas (ready-made)
p.s. You may have noticed I like using butter over oil in my cooking and I do no stint on the amount used, because butter adds a mild, comfortable flavour.
1. Finely slice the onions into long thin strips.
2. Slice the chicken similar to the onions into long strips.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium heat.
4. Add the onion & pan-fry until soft with a slight colour change.
5. Add in the chicken. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
6. Season with paprika, salt & oregano. Mix well.
7. Place one tortilla, in a skillet on low heat. Flip a few times to cook both sides.
8. Spoon the chicken mixture and cover the tortilla with it.
9. Garnish with a thick layer of cheese.
10. Spread a few slices of avocado over the top. (If you do not like your avocado warm – skip this step and place it in the quesadilla just before serving)
11. Cover this with another tortilla. (Either heat the tortilla like step 7 separately and then place on top or if you are comfortable invert the whole quesadilla in the pan and let it cook for another few minutes on the other side)
12. Use a pizza cutter to cut into small triangular shapes.
13. Serve warm.