This year on our father’s birthday, my sister – Jasmin and I decided to make him some fruit Popsicle. He is not a dessert person and so we wanted to make him something he would definitely enjoy. So we picked his favourite fruit and combined with another; pureed it, gave some flavor to it and Voila! We created a colourful, healthy and refreshing ice lolly or Popsicle!!!!
Now everybody I know loves a Popsicle – adults at the age of 60 do (like my father), my 2year old boys scream ICE CREAM at the sight!!! I know my husband does and so do I. It hardly takes any time to make and it is so refreshing. All it really requires is a good combination of ingredients and a couple of hours to sit in the freezer.
It is definitely a healthier choice of snacking and a great way to encourage intake of fruit juice. Better yet, Popsicles can even aid in treating teething sores.
This is also a great recipe if you are looking to involve children in the kitchen. Remember, one of the best ways to make kids enjoy food is to allow them to help in the kitchen. So why not freeze some right away with your little ones help??? Here’s how you can do it together…
Ingredients:- (12 sticks)
• 450gms fresh strawberries
• 165gms pineapple chunks
• 3-5 Tbsp caster sugar
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• Popsicle molds or paper cups & sticks
* Frozen strawberries are fine too but why not use the fresh ones since they are easily available here in Thailand now. Also by picking fresh fruits you can reduce the amount of sugar that needs to be added.
1. Together with your child, wash the strawberries thoroughly.
2. Allow him/her to add all the fruits in a food processor.
3. You can blend the ingredients and check that the consistency is not too runny.
4. Give your child a taste and have a taste of the puree yourself. Add on sugar and lime juice. ( Don’t forget to ask your child for his/her input on how sweet or sour they would like it to be)
5. Pour the mixture into each mould.
6. Freeze overnight.
7. Before serving, soak the mould in warm water for a few seconds and gently pull out the stick from the mould.
8. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to compliment your child on a fantastic job done. Have fun!!!