Mmmmmm cheese!!! Just the sound of this snack makes my heart melt. This is a recipe brought to me by a regular reader of my blog. She is mother of a 4year old and guarantees this will be a big hit with little children. I have to say I absolutely agree. The hot gooey cheese that flows out of these cute little bites are just “doggone” delicious!!!!
Sure you get these in ready packs at the supermarket and it takes only a few minutes to fry. But making it yourself allows you to choose the oil and control the amount used. You get to choose the ingredients you want to add and you get to avoid all the preservatives. Plus it is definitely easier than it looks.
So, are you ready to go mmmmm with me????
• 200 gms cheddar cheese (grated)
• ¼ cup white onions (finely chopped)
• 1 small carrot (finely chopped) – optional
• ½ cup sweet corn kernels
• Parsley (optional)
• Salt (adjust accordingly)
• 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs (beaten)
• 1/3 cup water
• ½ cup bread crumbs
• ½ cup coconut cooking oil
*Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is according to research the best option for frying food. There are over a hundred qualitied goodness of coconut oil but the two top reasons to use it for frying is that it can withstand high temperatures and the quality does not deteriorate over repetitive heating. If this is the oil you want to use, at the super market look for the label that says 100% coconut oil or the one that mentions coconut “cooking” oil.
1. In a large bowl, mix cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp flour, white onions, sweet corn, carrot & parsley. (You can add or remove any vegetables & herbs of your liking)
2. Season with some salt and mix well. Be cautious with the amount of salt you use as the cheese is already salty.
3. Use your hands to knead the mixture until it’s smooth & sticky.
4. Pick up about a tablespoon of the mixture and roll between your palms to make around 15 walnut-sized balls. (You can adjust the size as you like).
5. Place on a tray and chill for about 20minutes.
6. Meanwhile, mix the left over ingredients for the batter – eggs, 3-4tsp flour. Sprinkle some salt if you like.
7. In a blender, dry blend the bread crumbs to make them smaller than how they come in the ready packs. Add this to the batter mixture. And whisk till a sticky smooth texture is formed.
8. Roll the cheese balls over the batter carefully to cover all sides.
9. Freeze these for about 20mins or more so that the cheese is properly sealed inside and does not leak when you fry them.
10. In a heated pan, pour in the coconut cooking oil and when hot, fry the cheese balls for about 3minutes or until golden brown.